World of Warcraft, often referred to as WoW, is a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game (MMORPG) set in the Warcraft universe. It is developed by Blizzard Entertainment and contains 2 (and soon 3) expansion packs, including World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade, World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, and soon World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.
In 2008, World of Warcraft received more than 11.5 million monthly subscribers, and currently holds the Guinness World Record for the most popular MMORPG and world's largest MMORPG online game. It also continues its further story development throughout its franchising, other than online media, such as Warcraft novels, manga, RPG books, TCG, and board games.
Note the following are the pre-expansion details:
- Uses and expands the storyline from the Warcraft series of games.
- Customizable characters:
- 2 factions: Horde and Alliance.
- 8 races: Human, Dwarf, Gnome, Night Elf, Orc, Troll, Undead, Tauren (expansions: Template:Bc-inline Blood Elf and Draenei, Template:Cat-inline Goblin and Worgen).
- 9 classes: Mage, Warlock, Priest, Rogue, Druid, Hunter, Shaman, Warrior, and Paladin (expansions: Template:Wotlk-inline Death Knight).
- 9 professions, enabling resource gathering and item crafting (expansions: Template:Bc-inline Jewelcrafting. With patch 3.0.2, shortly before Wrath of the Lich King, Inscription was introduced)
- The Talents and Glyphs system allows further customization of the character's skills and stats.
- General System
- A casual-friendly character progression system.
- In-game trading, mail service and auction system.
- Four server types: Normal (PvE), RP, PvP, and RPPvP.
- Quest and Honor Systems
- A PvP Honor system, 3 Battlegrounds
- A variety of World Events including:
- 67 Instanced Dungeons, ranging from The Deadmines to Zul'Gurub to Ulduar.
- User Interface and Customer Support
- Customize AddOn and Interface with some game commands support.
- Client seamlessly supports both Mac and Windows operating systems. Linux users can play via Wine, however this is not supported and can be buggy at times.
- Oceania (English - Australia, Hawaii, New Zealand)
- North America (English - US & Canada)
- Europe (English-UK, French, German, Spanish, Russian)
- South Korea
- China (Simplified and Traditional Chinese; including Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, and the regions of Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau)
- Latin America (Spanish, English?)
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found