A video game director is a person who is in charge of significant creative aspects of a video game. This title is not widely used in the video game industry, and is absent from most titles produced for western audiences. This title is most commonly found in games made in Japan.
The same role undertaken for western video games series may be someone in the role of executive producer, producer or designer. For example, though Will Wright was the game designer for The Sims, he is now more of an Executive Producer for the following games in the series, such as The Sims 2 and the The Sims Stories.
- Shinji Mikami is known as the creator of the Resident Evil franchise among his work on other Capcom series.
- Hideo Kojima is well-known for directing the Metal Gear series.
- Yoshio Sakamoto is the co-creator of the Metroid series.
- Shigeru Miyamoto is often credited as the creator of the Nintendo game characters Mario, Link, and Donkey Kong, among others. He directed Super Mario Bros. for the Nintendo Entertainment System.
- Hironobu Sakaguchi is well-known for directing the Final Fantasy series (I-III) for the Nintendo Entertainment System and 2 of the installments (IV and V) for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System.
* Tetsuya Nomura directed many of Square Enix's recent works, among them the Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy series.
- Peter Molyneux directed games such as Black & White, Fable, and The Movies.
- Jason Rubin directed the Crash Bandicoot and Jak and Daxter series' for Naughty Dog.
- Ken Levine wrote and directed the seminal first-person shooter System Shock 2 and its spritual successor BioShock for 2K Boston/2K Australia.
- Tomonobu Itagaki directed several games in the Dead or Alive series and the post-2004 Ninja Gaiden console games.
- Will Wright director of The Sims and the recently released Spore.
- Yu Suzuki Creator of games such as Hang-On, Out Run, After Burner II, Virtua Fighter and Virtua Cop as well as the Dreamcast game Shenmue.
- Jeffrey Kaplan was game director for the MMORPG World of Warcraft and is now working on an unannounced MMO with Blizzard Entertainment.
- Yuji Naka was the game director for the Sonic The Hedgehog series up until Shadow the Hedgehog.