From the predecessor, System Shock has the following differences:
- Standard FPS mouse control; inventory and HUD items are reached by switching to to inventory mode rather than interaction mode.
- Cyberpoints, used to upgrade skills and abilities.
- Primary and alternate fire.
- Additional items types, including body armor, cyber enhancements, alternate ammunition, and others.
- Currency, store systems and containers, which may be interacted by hacking.
- Reloadable weapons
- Weapon degredation
- Removal of fine-tuned leaning and crouching
- Omittion of hollywood-style "cyberspace" hacking, and replaced by a quicker minigame.
- Replacement of independent difficulty settings into a single scale (which affects attributes and upgrade costs.)
- An optional training area.
- In a patch, a cheat console and multiplayer co-op.