Sonic Drift is a Sonic racing game released in Japan for the Game Gear on March 18, 1994. On March 17, 1995, a sequel, Sonic Drift 2, was released
in Japan as well as North America.
In Sonic Drift, players race around a track, collect power-ups, and try to make it to the finish line first with a chosen Sonic character. The playable characters include Sonic, Tails, Amy, and Dr. Eggman. They all have different karts and special powers.
|Sonic the Hedgehog||Cyclone||Dash|
|Miles "Tails" Prower||MTP-01 Wheel Wind||Jump|
|Amy Rose||Breeze||Heart Attack|
|Dr. Eggman||Egg Typhoon||Mine|
The courses are all zones from the Genesis game Sonic the Hedgehog. They include:
- Green Hill
- Spring Yard
- Star Light
- Scrap Brain
- This is Sonic's first racing game and also the first time he's seen driving a car.
- When you're invincible, the jingle is a sped-up version of a song from Sonic CD: "You Can do Anything".
- Sonic Drift was most likely created to compete with Nintendo's Mario Kart.
- Although Sonic Drift was supposed to be Japan-exclusive, it was released in North America in the Playstation 2 game Sonic Mega Collection Plus.
- This is the first Sonic game in which Amy is a playable character.